"DOMS" - Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness

Call me cRaZy...but I ♥ the feeling of sore muscles after a workout! Typically day two is the most sore for me, but after my leg workout yesterday...ooooooh, baby!! I'm feelin' it!

Delayed onset muscle soreness occurs when the muscle is performing an eccentric or a lengthening contraction. The mild muscle strain creates microscopic damage to the muscle fibers. Scientists believe this damage, coupled with the inflammation that accompanies these tears, causes the pain.

"The aches and pains should be minor," says Carol Torgan, an exercise physiologist and fellow of the American College of Sports Medicine, "and are simply indications that muscles are adapting to your fitness regimen."

You're growing stronger and conditioning your muscles to be better able to perform! So keep up the hard work and FEEL the progress!

The Workout

Warm-up: Leg Extensions (55 LBS x 20 reps)
*Leg Extensions: 90 LBS x 15 reps x 3 sets

*Squats: 115 LBS x 15 reps x 4 sets

Super-Set: Hack Squart with Walking Lunges
*Hack Squat: 90 LBS x 15 reps x 2 sets
(I wimped out on Hack Squats because I felt the on-set of a pinched nerve in my lower back. This is brought on by my improper form. When performing Hack Squat, the load should be carried in the legs and glutes eliminating pressure on the back - specifically the lower back. To ensure proper distribution on the weight, I try to keep my lower back OFF the pad by putting a slight arch in my lower back. If you experience pain of any sort, check your form!!)
*Walking Lunges: (2) 25 LBS x 24 reps x 3 sets

Super-Set: Squats & Jump Squats
*Squat with Feet Together (on Smith Machine): 70 LBS x 15 reps x 4 sets
*Jump Squats: BW x 15 reps x 4 sets

*Single-leg Glute Curls: 50 LBS x 20 reps x 3 sets

*Seated Leg-Press (feet together): 155 LBS x 15 reps x 3 sets (squeeze those glutes!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Transformation Challenge: So it begins...

Cajun Turkey…Bodybuilder Style!!

Do you eat like a Mongol Soldier or peasant warrior?