Hypothyroidism

I recently had a friend from the gym ask me how I lost my baby weight so quickly. In addition to maintaining my lifestyle of healthy eating and regular workouts during my pregnancy, I was quick to get back to exercising as soon a I felt strong enough after having my daughter. I offered my friend a review of her current daily nutrition. Proper nutrition is critical to fat loss! I also learned that my friend has tested for low thyroid hormone production, albeit not low enough for medical treatment. After some research, I  designed a meal plan for my friend with the following information in mind: 

Incorporate:
IODINE
Include the following iodine sources in your diet: iodized salt, cod, shrimp, Cow's milk and eggs.
ZINC
oysters, wheat germ and dairy products
SUPPLEMENTS
B vitamins
Vitamin C
Tyrosine (amino acid) 

Restrict:
Limit foods such as rapeseed, sweet potatoes, lima beans, broccoli, cabbage and cauliflower. These foods contain the chemicals goitrogens, which disrupts thyroid hormone production. In addition to goitrogenic foods, restrict sugar intake in your diet.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Having a low level of thyroid hormone affects your whole body. It can make you feel tired and weak. If hypothyroidism is not treated, it can raise your cholesterol levels and make you more likely to have a heart attack or stroke. During pregnancy, untreated hypothyroidism can harm your baby. Luckily, hypothyroidism is easy to treat.

What are the symptoms?

Hypothyroidism can cause many different symptoms, such as:
  • Feeling tired, weak, or depressed.
  • Dry skin and brittle nails.
  • Not being able to stand the cold.
  • Constipation.
  • Memory problems or having trouble thinking clearly.
  • Heavy or irregular menstrual periods.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Transformation Challenge: So it begins...

Cajun Turkey…Bodybuilder Style!!

Do you eat like a Mongol Soldier or peasant warrior?